[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 7.9 release criteria

Jakob Bornecrantz wallbraker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 16:39:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:

>>> Paraphrasing the discussion a bit, it sounds like the only thing in the
>>> way of a release is fixing a bunch of bugs.  It sounds like there are a
>>> couple that are real blockers.  Is that a fair assessment?
>>
>>> If that's the case, I propose the following:
>>
>>>  - Create a 7.9 tracker bug that is blocked by all the blockers.
>>
>> Done: Bugzilla #30124.
>>
>>>  - Next week create a 7.9 release branch.  We'll treat it just like the
>>> 7.8 branch, but the "settling" period for fixes should be much shorter
>>> (perhaps even instantaneous).
>>
>> I will do this on the morning (US pacific time) of 9/14.  There are a
>> couple more of Luca's patches that I want to merge, and I don't think
>> they qualify as bug fixes.
>
> Done.  Please follow the usual stable branch policies with a compressed
> settling period.

Thanks!

> There aren't very many bugs listed in the release tracker, so it looks
> like we should be able to release at the end of the month.  If you have
> bugs you think should block the release, add them to the tracker sooner
> rather than later.

I'm assuming you will be doing the tagging can you please make sure
you actually put some sort of text inside the tag so that git describe
will work on the branch? As per
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ReleaseHOWTO currently
on the master branch I get mesa_7_6_1_rc1-12668-g4cea3a1.

On a related note would anybody object to me pushing a "git tag -m
'Mesa development branch' 7.10-devel" to the master branch? Assuming
we will be doing 7.10 release and not 8.0.

Cheers Jakob.