[Mesa-dev] depth writing and missing something

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Wed Sep 29 23:28:40 PDT 2010

There are two things to consider: u_format.csv description for depth stencils is a bit special for practical reasons, and pipe_sampler_view swizzles.

Several functions in u_format_xxx.c need to be able to read/write stencil, and this is why u_format.csv describes depth stencil's swizzles as producing Z S x x. But the stencil channel will never be present when the texture is read as RGBA tuple.

Sampling from a depthstencil texture should always produce Z Z Z 1 or Z 0 0 1, even before any sampler swizzles are applied. I think Brian documented this somewhere in gallium/docs/ but I can't find it now.

At any rate, provided the first channel has z, then the state tracker will specify how he wants the other channels to be filled in the pipe_sampler_view' swizzles.

Effectively, the gallium spec could say that sampling from depth textures should match (Z x x x).

This is my understanding of the current state. We could polish this more a little.

Jose