[Mesa-dev] How do I get start about gallium?

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 08:23:37 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Awin <awin0628 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>    I need to write a OpenGL driver for my company's IC, and base on gallium,
> how do I get start? Is there any document or sample code to reference?

This is a remarkably candid question.

In the Mesa tree, the Gallium headers (src/gallium/include/**/*.h)
describe the objects Gallium passes around. There are also Sphinx docs
(src/gallium/docs/) which probably haven't really been maintained in a
bit, but it's nice to think that they are somewhat accurate.

Gallium is laid out like this: There is a struct called Winsys which
handles talking to your hardware backend (DRM, Windows kernel, etc.),
a struct called Screen which helps to manage your GPU's information
and resources, and a struct called Context which is, well, a rendering
context.

Which SoC is this? Do you have docs? Are you going to open-source any
of your driver code?

It's going to be a lot easier to answer your questions in realtime;
there's an IRC channel on Freenode, #dri-devel, which is the general
Gallium channel (among other things), and is a great place to ask
questions.

Hope this helps somewhat,
~ C.

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? ~ Keynes

Corbin Simpson
<MostAwesomeDude at gmail.com>