[Mesa-dev] KWin and Mesa

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Apr 20 08:15:11 PDT 2011

 On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:59:48 -0300, Solerman Kaplon
 <solerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Em 20-04-2011 09:01, Martin Gräßlin escreveu:
>
> As someone who got a user complaining about kde dragging his apps to
> a slowness blackhole using some intel card, I think one way to
> workaround such issues is making such effects more explicit.
 I think this mailinglist is the wrong place for such discussions. The
 correct one would be kwin at kde.org or reporting bugs about it at
 bugs.kde.org. I reply here nevertheless as there is incorrect
 information. As a matter of fact the user would resolve the issue by
 upgrading the drivers - Lanczos is disabled for Intel and Mesa >= 7.10
 since KDE 4.6. For KDE 4.6 the recommended Mesa version is at least
 7.10.
> Right
> now, the only way I can disable lanczos is using some obscure
> blacklist string in a hidden file. Can you please do like compiz and
> add a "Lancozs filter" effect to the kwin settings so users can
> easily
> disable that on their own?
 This is not correct. There is a GUI option to disable the filter since
 4.6 and the blacklist has been removed from master some weeks ago.
> Make sure Blur (which is already there)
> gets really disabled when I uncheck it. Thanks in advance. For new
> users, maybe shipping with those effects disabled by default might be
> a good plan.
 We consider both blur and lanczos as an important part of our user
 experience and therefore enable it by default for users with supported
 hardware. It does not get enabled on hardware which does not support
 these shaders in a satisfying way.

 Cheers
 Martin