[Mesa-dev] Status of VDPAU and XvMC state-trackers (was Re: Build error on current xvmc-r600 pipe-video)

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Tue Apr 26 04:52:56 PDT 2011

Hi Andy and everybody on the list,

sorry for the late reply, but i've been on vacation the last couple of
days.

Am Dienstag, den 12.04.2011, 21:38 +0100 schrieb Andy Furniss:
> In addition to the quit crash I notice that resizing will also crash.
Should be fixed by now. I implemented most of the missing "base"
functionality in vdpau state tracker, so video displaying should now
work fine.

> When testing this HD vid -
>
> http://www.w6rz.net/newmobcal1920.ts
>
> It played and looked OK for about 5 seconds, but then stopped and I got
> lots of -
>
> radeon_bo_fixed_map failed to map bo
> EE radeon_bo.c:120 radeon_bo - failed to map bo
I couldn't reproduce the error, but it sounds like a out of (video)
memory problem to me. Please try again and see if it still crashes.

Additional to the work on the vdpau state tracker, I've worked on the
xvmc and general decoding stuff a bit more:

* Added attributes for brightness, contrast, saturation, hue and
colourspace
* Got xines xxmc output plugin working with the xvmc implementation
* Fixed the bug in the mc code that caused most of the artefacts in the
pendulum video
* Reorganized and cleaned up the xvmc<->driver interface so it's using
allot less cpu power.
* Implemented basic support for a "zscan and quantification" stage

To sum it up: Video output of a 1920x1080 video now uses something
around ~20% CPU time on my old test system, compared to ~50% with Xv,
including all the nice features like overlay menu rendering for example
(ok only working with mplayer right now, not xine).

So is there something still missing for the xvmc state tracker, or can I
continue with implementing the vdpau state tracker?

Regards,
Christian.