[Mesa-dev] RFC: remove ctx->Driver.TextureMemCpy() hook

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Fri Dec 2 07:14:56 PST 2011

This hook was added many years ago to allow using an alternative
implementation of memcpy() for glTexImage() that was faster under some
circumstances.

The code is still present in the state tracker in st_cb_texture.c

The hook is only used in texstore.c in the memcpy_texture() helper.
It's not used for glCompressedTex[Sub]Image nor a few other places
where it could have been used.

The non-gallium drivers just set ctx->Driver.TextureMemCpy = memcpy so
it's really not utilized there.

If we think that using regular memcpy() everywhere is OK, I'd like to
remove this hook.  I haven't done any investigation into whether the
assembly __memcpy() function in st_cb_teximage.c is really any faster
nowadays.  But if there really is a benefit to this function, we could
use it in more places.

Any comments?

-Brian