[Mesa-dev] R600g LLVM shader backend

Tom Stellard thomas.stellard at amd.com
Fri Dec 16 11:14:49 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 10:41 -0800, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> [...]

Ok, this makes sense.  I think the important things to have be plugable
are load and stores to special register files (i.e everything besides
TGSI_FILE_TEMPORARY) and also the conversion of each TGSI_OPCODE to llvm
IR.

> > I think it might be nice to map TGSI opcodes to C functions rather
> > than
> > intrinsic strings.
>
> What do you mean by "C functions"?

What I meant was instead of passing an intrinsic to the TGSI -> LLVM
converter as a char * and saying convert TGSI_OPCODE_* to this
intrinsic, we should pass function pointers, that get called for each
TGSI_OPCODE_* conversion.

> > > So I'd like us to have a flexible hierarchy of TGSI translators
> > > that can be shared for GPU/CPUs alike.
> > >
> > > BTW, I'd prefer that all reusable Gallium+LLVM code (be it meant
> > > for GPU or CPU) lives in src/gallium/auxiliary/gallivm , as it
> > > make code maintenance and build integration simpler.  So
> > > tgsi_llvm.c should be moved into gallivm.  Also, beware that the
> > > ability to build core gallium/mesa without LLVM must be preserved.
> > > (Having particular drivers to have hard dependencies on LLVM is of
> > > course at discretion of drivers developers though.)

> > > I'll review them separately.
> > >

> Been busy days. Still no time to go through them in detail...
>
> > > Also, maybe it would make sense to have amdil backend distributed
> > > separately from mesa, as it looks like a component that has other
> > > consumers beyond mesa/gallium/r600g, right?
> > >

> > Eventually, the AMDIL backend will be distributed as a part of llvm
> > [1],
> > but we still have a lot of work to do to make that happen.  The r600g
> > backend is basically a subclass of the AMDIL backend, so if the AMDIL
> > backend is in LLVM the r600g backend would probably have to be too.
>
> I think it must be possible to have LLVM backends / passes out of the tree. Anyway, it is a detail.
>
> > > Why is the result code worse: due to limitations in the assembler,
> > > in the AMDIL LLVM backend, or in LLVM itself?
> > >

> > I guess it's due to limitations in the assembler.  When the code is
> > translated from TGSI, the vector instructions fit much better into
> > the
> > VLIW architecture, so the lack of a proper assembler is not as
> > noticeable, but the r600g LLVM backend assumes non-VLIW hardware,
> > which
> > makes the lack of a good assembler really noticeable.
>
> I see.
>
> > > What are the state trackers that you envision this will use? (e.g.,
> > > Are you targeting clover? do you hope this will be the default
> > > compiler backend for Mesa? Or is Mesa/Gallium just a way to test
> > > AMDIL backend?)
> > >

> > For r600g we are targeting clover, but future chip generations will
> > use
> > LLVM for all state trackers.
>
> That sounds great!
>
> > > I'm also interested in your general opinion on using LLVM for GPU.
> > >

> > The thing that was most difficult for me to model with LLVM was
> > preloading values (e.g. shader inputs) into registers.  I had to try
> > few different ways of implementing this before I got it to work.
>
> For curiosity, how did you solve this in the end? Function parameters?

Function parameters are a good idea.  I never thought of that.

What I did was define intrinsics to simulate pre-loading values into
hardware registers.  The intrinsic for loading inputs looks like this:

f32 r600.load.input(i32)

So %0 = r600.load.input(0) would be lowered to MOV %0, R0, and then I
would move this instruction to the beginning of the program as a way to
simulate pre-loading.  Not very elegant, but it mostly worked.

However, in the mean time Vadim Girlin has come up with a much better
solution that adds pre-loaded registers to the Live In lists of their
basic block.

-Tom