[Mesa-dev] Willing to take Haiku support Patches? (Was: DEATH to old drivers!)

Alexander von Gluck kallisti5 at unixzen.com
Mon Dec 19 10:18:30 PST 2011

Good afternoon!

The Haiku OS project (not-for-profit organization, founded in 2001) has
found ourselves in a weird spot, we have a working Mesa software
render library based on a *heavily* modified Mesa 7.4.4.

http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/libs/mesa

However as you can imagine, updating that is going to be a *big*
pain point.  As Haiku is looking to get some basic 3D rendering
going on it's cards, we need to do upgrade to a newer version of
Mesa.

If we produced well thought out Haiku OS support patches, would
Mesa as a project be interested in accepting them upstream? I think
a better direction may be to move away from the heavily custom
integrated mesa library and move to stock version.

These patches would likely start as run-of-the-mill #ifdef __HAIKU__
macros.

As Haiku has a much smaller developer base then Mesa (20-30 commiters)
these first steps would greatly assist us in getting hardware assisted
3d acceleration going.

Keep in mind this is all early analysis, I haven't tried porting 7.11.2
yet :)

Thanks!
  -- Alex