[Mesa-dev] Building Mesa 7.10 on Windows 7 / Visual Studio 2010

Zack Rusin zackr at vmware.com
Mon Feb 14 18:47:29 PST 2011

On Monday 14 February 2011 21:13:04 Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Yahya H. Mirza <yahya at aurorasoft.net>
wrote:
> > Is there anyone looking into using CMAKE as another build system for
> > MESA?
>
> The solution is not another build system.

in this case it is. the issue with vs build files is that no one working on
linux would be even able to update them so they're bound to get broken every
day. cmake can generate native project files on all platforms - linux, os x
(xcode), windows (vs) so in that sense it's the only build system that could
reasonably cover all the platforms and is the only build system that could
replace everything we have right now. the fact that piglit and our demos
already use it make it even easier. the build system to rule them all.

unfortunately Jose tried it and the issue was that cmake doesn't support
convinenice libraries which mesa uses quite extensively and there was no
decent way of making it work without recompiling the same file number of times
(not a workable solution from a development point of view). so as it stands
scons is the "official" way of building on windows.