[Mesa-dev] How to disable GPU acceleration?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:28:48 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:25 AM, kumar vemuri <kumar210in at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have the 3D graphics driver installed on my linux system.
>
> a. How do i disable hardware acceleration and make a 3D game use the
> libGLCore (s/w renderer) of Xserver (without uninstalling the 3D
> driver)?

The X server libGLcore doesn't exist anymore, it now loads hw drivers like
the client side. So what you want isn't what you think you want.

The two env vars

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT will make the app use the X server, hoewver it
may still use accelerated rendering.

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE will make libGL load the swrast driver and do
software rendering.

> b. Are there 3D apps/games which work (however slow) if h/w
> acceleration is disabled?

Most of them run really unuseably slow.

Dave.