[Mesa-dev] Detecting Software Rasterizer

Tim Milligan milligan at google.com
Mon Feb 28 10:56:09 PST 2011

On Linux I wish to reliably detect via someAPI if OpenGL is using the Mesa3D
Software Rasterizer (e.g. has no hardware accelerated driver installed, or
has otherwise selected the software renderer).  The reason is that in this
case I can fall back on a 2d library that will give me better performance
for my scenario.  I know a better model is to measure performance at
runtime, but short of that, is there any more reliable way than fetching the
GL_RENDERER string and checking for "Software Rasterizer"?  Is this string
ever localized or historically had some other value?

Thanks for your help,
Tim