[Mesa-dev] RFH and status of XvMC on r600g

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Sun Jan 9 16:13:33 PST 2011

Am Sonntag, den 09.01.2011, 03:41 -0500 schrieb Alex Deucher:
> Using linear buffers is about the worse layout possible from the GPU's
> perspective due to the design of the memory controller.  Ideally we
> want to use 2D tiling for everything.  Try these patches which force
> 2D tiling and make sure you are using 2.6.37 or drm-next:
> ddx:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/all_2D_tiling.diff
> mesa:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/2D_tiling_mesa.diff
Switched to 2.6.37 and this problem went away, I can enable tilling now
and see at least something.

> There's still some issues with 2D tiling handling of the Z buffer in
> the r600g, but the rest is pretty solid.
I added a call to permit_hardware_blit after the force_tilling check and
now 720x480p videos are working even with tilling enabled. But it looks
like very small texture doesn't work at all and very large
textures/surfaces like 1280x1080 have artefacts. I will try to
investigate it a bit further.

> Pageflipping should help as
> well for fullscreen 3D:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/log/?h=kms-pflip
> but for that you'll need drm-next:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/drm-next
Ok i will try it if time permits.

Where can i ask for write permission to mesa master repository?
I have some patches ready who are clearly bug fixes, or should I post
them for manual inclusion?

Christian.