[Mesa-dev] [mesa build system] glsl builtin_functions.cpp change breaks entire compilation

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Wed Jan 12 16:32:59 PST 2011

Tobias Jakobi wrote:
> Some further testing shows that the LDFLAGS seem to cause the problem.
> More specifically the '--as-needed' which is passed to the linker.

As needed should probably be removed from the link line when we're
linking with g++.

Last I looked into such issues, I found that the flag is incognizant of
static initializers, and thus is not valid for C++.  I got the
impression it was fine for C.. but in retrospect I can't remember why,
it's not like C lacks static variables.  Worth another googling round.

> I don't know how to fix this, but I figure it could become a problem for
> a lot more users since more and more distros seem to use '--as-needed'
> by default.

If that's the case, it's a distro bug; they shouldn't be adding
--as-needed to packages unless they're certain there's no C++ code.

-tom