[Mesa-dev] [RFC] GL fixed function fragment shaders

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Thu Jan 13 08:40:39 PST 2011

Am 12.01.2011 23:04, schrieb Eric Anholt:
> This is a work-in-progress patch series to switch texenvprogram.c from
> generating ARB_fp style Mesa IR to generating GLSL IR as its product.
> For drivers without native GLSL codegen, that is then turned into the
> Mesa IR that can be consumed.  However, for 965 we don't use the Mesa
> IR product and just use the GLSL output, producing much better code
> thanks to the new backend.  This is part of a long term goal to get
> Mesa drivers off of Mesa IR and producing their instruction stream
> directly from the GLSL IR.
>
> I'm not planning on committing this series immediately, as I've still
> got a regression in the 965 driver with texrect-many on the last
> commit.
>
> As a comparison, here's one of the shaders from openarena before:

So what's the code looking like after conversion to mesa IR? As long as
it's not worse than the original I guess this should be ok, though for
those drivers consuming mesa IR I guess it's just more cpu time without
any real benefit? For gallium we should probably address this some way
or another, it seems quite backward to do ff->glsl->mesa ir->tgsi.

Roland