[Mesa-dev] About OpenGL QB stereo support..

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 17 08:21:47 PST 2011

On 04:18 Thu 13 Jan     , Corbin Simpson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM, rtfss none <rtfss1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > first sorry if not is the correct place to post it but I was thinking
> > that with open source Sandy Bridge and AMD 68xx cards support that
> > ship with Displayport 1.2 (AMD only) and HDMI1.4(both) connectors
> > supporting
> > 3d stereo output if could mesa developers expose support for it.. i.e.
> > mesa ogl driver expose support for OGL QB stereo.. of course that
> > perhaps should require changes to drm stack or both amd and intel open
> > source drivers to setup
> > correct stereo frame packing output in this outputs.. that could add
> > an advantage of open source drivers to propietary drivers which only
> > expose ogl stereo support for professional cards.. and even then i
> > think there is no currently support for ogl qb stereo support via hdmi
> > 1.4 nor in Nvidia and AMD worlds.. also this could be a good effort to
> > port all stereo madness to linux now that seem even MVC hardware
> > decoding is supported on both Sandy Bridge and AMD 68xx cards.. that
> > could be exposed via VAAPI for SandyBrige (I'm posting on libva dev
> > list) or new OpenDecode AMD API which already exposes that support
> > (currently Windows world only but some OCL developers have asked AMD
> > to support also Linux)..
>
> DRI and GLX have all the correct support for GL_STEREO, but none of
> the open drivers implement it as far as I know. This would probably be
> a non-trivial thing to implement.

It's been more or less implemented twice already, once for mga and again
for r200, albeit before the days of HDMI. Patches are around on
mailing-list archives [1,2] if you're interested.

1. http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06185.html
2. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.dri.devel/12790

--
Thanks,