[Mesa-dev] Merging glsl-to-tgsi to master

Bryan Cain bryancain3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:55:15 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> On 07/11/2011 09:53 AM, Egon Ashrafinia wrote:
> > Hello guys.
> >
> > 1 month ago, we talked about merging glsl-to-tgsi to master but it still
> > not happend. What about now? I could compile and test it a bit. It works.
> > Anyone who could do it? What does Bryan Cain say about it?
>
> One thing to consider is whether or not this will make it more difficult
> to cherry pick fixes to the 7.11 release branch.  Bryan has been doing
> some really cool work, and I'd like to see it get merged.  However, I
> also want 7.11 to ship on time and with as few bugs as possible.
> Anything that will make that more difficult should wait until August.

I don't think merging the glsl-to-tgsi branch would make it much more
difficult to cherry pick fixes to 7.11.  The main change in the branch is
the addition of a new file to st/mesa (st_glsl_to_tgsi.cpp) containing the
GLSL->TGSI translator.  That in and of itself doesn't make it any harder.

The only existing files with non-trivial changes that might affect
cherry-picking are uniforms.c and prog_parameter.c in core Mesa.  Several
other files in st/mesa and core Mesa have minor changes to make them work
with either the prog_parameter changes or to work without Mesa IR, but I
don't think those changes are enough to make cherry-picking difficult.
They're at least not worse than most changes in master in that regard.

Bryan