[Mesa-dev] Truncated extensions string

Chris Bandy cbandy at jbandy.com
Fri Mar 11 16:09:21 PST 2011

On 03/11/2011 02:14 PM, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
> On Friday, March 11, 2011 10:46:31 AM José Fonseca wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 09:04 -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:

>>> If this is just a hack for one broken application, and we think that
>>> building in a workaround for this particular broken application is
>>> important (I don't), I still prefer an obvious hack for that broken
>>> application like feeding it a tiny extension string that it cares about,
>>> instead of reordering the extension list.
>> There are many versions of Quake3 out there, some fixed, others not, and
>> others enhanced. This means a tiny string would prevent any Quake3
>> application from finding newer extensions. So I think that if we go for
>> the application name detection then we should present the whole
>> extension string sorted chronologically, instead of giving a tiny
>> string.
>>
>> Jose
> I agree with José - it's not one broken application, it's a number of old,
> sometimes closed-source games that we can't change.
>
> I'm not sure how changing the sorting solves the problem, anyway - the amount
> of data returned would still overflow the buffer, possibly wreaking havoc.  I'd
> rather avoid that.
>
> Ian and I talked about this a year ago, and the solution I believe we came up
> with was to use a driconf option or environment variable:
>
> If MESA_MAX_EXTENSION_YEAR=2006, then glGetString would only return extensions
> created in 2006 or earlier.  The rationale is that if a game came out in 2006,
> it won't know about any extensions from 2007 anyway, so advertising them is
> useless.  The fixed-size buffer is also almost certainly large enough to handle
> this cut-down list of extensions.
I'm just a lurker on the list, but this approach seems the most sane to me.

Keeping the code/table in a format useful to developers seems more
important than supporting legacy applications. In my opinion, a user of
old, closed or binary applications can flip some switches to use the
latest mesa.
> This should be trivial to do now that you already have the years for each
> extension...just store them in the table, rather than in comments, and check
> before listing an extension.
I suspect that the performance of any implementation is insignificant,
since this kind of query happens very few times in an application?