[Mesa-dev] GSoC : Thoughts about an OpenGL 4.1 state tracker

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:06:26 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM, José Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> If we want a cleaner / more agile code base, then we could fork off the
> old mesa drivers which aren't being actively maintained/tested into a
> separate branch, put them in just-bugfixes/no-new-features life support
> mode; therefore allowing greater freedom to refactor support for the
> active/maintained drivers, without the hassle of updating old drivers
> and its associated risks.

What drivers are you talking about?

A quick glance tells me that old drivers like tdfx and savage were
only modified 7 and 8 times respectively in 2010, so I don't see old
drivers slowing any development down. A number of commits to these
drivers were 'Remove unnecessary header.' anyway.

What would splitting these drivers out of the Mesa codebase allow?
Intel's still using the classic infrastructure, so.

Matt