[Mesa-dev] [RFC] GL fixed function fragment shaders

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Fri Mar 18 15:42:07 PDT 2011

On 03/18/2011 02:31 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
> [...]
> after the generation step the old code is now done and is on the
> already optimized form you see above. The new code however is far from
> done. Going through it first go through various common GLSL IR
> optimizations steps (from the attached text file, the second shader
> and third shader in the file both are the same just with and without
> the inlining of GLSL IR). Finally it calls _mesa_optimize_program
> which gets it to its current form.
>
> As for the code itself, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would,
> there are a lot of allocations, a fair bit of extra typing tho loc
> count in the commit stays about the same even less, the reason behind
> that is that texenv has its own implementation of ureg. Not counting
> that a conversion to GLSL IR would instead add extra locs.
>

>> Of course, talking about optimality of Mesa IR is kind of a joke, as for
>> the drivers that directly consume it (i915, 965 VS, r200, and I'm
>> discounting r300+ as they have their own IR that Mesa IR gets translated
>> to and actually optimized), we miss huge opportunities to reduce
>> instruction count due to swizzle sources including -1, 0, 1 as options
>> but Mesa IR not taking advantage of it.  If we were doing that right,
>> then the other MOV-reduction pass would hit and that extra move just
>> added here would go away, resulting in a net win.
>
> This could be done with any of the IR's (provided numeric swizzling is
> added) and something that I have been thinking about adding to TGSI.
> As pretty much all hw supports it natively (exception being svga).
>

>> Similarly, we add an extra indirection phase according to 915's
>> accounting of those on the second shader, but the fact that we don't
>> schedule those in our GLSL output anyway is a big issue for GLSL on
>> hardware with indirection limits.
>>
>>> it's not worse than the original I guess this should be ok, though for
>>> those drivers consuming mesa IR I guess it's just more cpu time without
>>> any real benefit?
>>
>> Assuming that the setup the app did was already optimal for a
>> programmable GPU, yes.  But I suspect that isn't generally the case --
>> while OA has reasonable looking fixed function setup (other than Mesa IR
>> we produce not using the swizzles), given how painful it is to program
>> using texenv I suspect there are a lot of "suboptimal" shader setups out
>> there that we could actually improve.
>
> You posted some GLSL IR cpu optimizations patches after pushing this
> code and only the delta between pre and post optimizations. What is
> the delta for the old MesaIR code and GLSL IR code, if you didn't do
> any testing can you give an estimate? We seem to be doing a lot more
> cpu crunching for worse results.
>
>>> For gallium we should probably address this some way
>>> or another, it seems quite backward to do ff->glsl->mesa ir->tgsi.
>>
>> I'm surprised you guys haven't forked off ir_to_mesa.cpp to something
>> that produces TGSI, since you seem to prefer it as the thing for drivers

It would probably be a good step, but it's quite a bit of work.

>>  At least with sized variables, you could then
>> adapt the Mesa IR optimization passes on TGSI so that they wouldn't all
>> be disabled whenever relative addressing occurred.

Yeah, that's been a problem.

>>  I'm only interested
>> in Mesa IR for hardware that doesn't have relative addressing of temps,
>> so it's not really an issue to me.
>
> While a ir_to_tgsi is needed, I'm a quite worried that the old
> _mesa_optimize_program was needed at all to even get it close to
> comparable output.

Since the texenvprogram.c and ff_fragment_shader.cpp code have the
same simple entrypoint, both could coexist for a while and we could
choose between them with a simple flag.  I'm not too crazy about
switching to the new path if it means a substantial performance hit.

-Brian