[Mesa-dev] Sandy Bridge heisenbug

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 23:48:05 PDT 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:54:48 -0500, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/31/2011 05:20 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > However, if you are reasonably confident that a change in mesa provokes
> > the issue, you can bisect the commit in question. That may give another
> > clue as to where to look next.
>
> I'm willing to take a shot.  Got a link to a good HOWTO?  (My experience
> with git is very limited.)

Prep the bisection by:

$ git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
$ cd mesa
$ git bisect start
$ git bisect bad
$ git bisect good mesa-7.10.1

Then you will need to repeat:

$ make realclean && ./autogen.sh --with-dri-drivers=i965 && make && sudo make install
... test ...
$ git bisect good # if you can login in without a GPU hang
$ git bisect bad  # otherwise

Cleaning out mesa after every step is a hassle, but it makes sure that any
autogenerated files are properly rebuilt. I would suggest you use icecream,
ccache and -j5 to speed up the build.

Afterwards, do a careful
# rm -rf /usr/local/lib/libGL* \
  /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gl*.pc  \
  /usr/local/lib/dri \
  /usr/local/include/GL

(Why is there no make uninstall target?)
-Chris