[Mesa-dev] gallium st incorrect drawable <-> context bindings.

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Tue May 24 05:38:52 PDT 2011

On 05/24/2011 12:13 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Thomas Hellstrom
> <thellstrom at vmware.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not sure when this use of drawable<->  context bindings started, but the
>> below commit uses an invalid assumption to fix a problem the root cause of
>> which is also an invalid assumption.
>>
>> It's incorrect to associate a drawable with a context.
>> A drawable may have multiple contexts bound to it, and attempts to associate
>> a drawable with a single context will fail miserably in a multithreading
>> environment.
>>
>> This means that the fix below should be reverted, and
>> drawable->driContextPriv should never have been used in the first place. It
>> should nave no users whatsoever except old dri1 code using it as a possible
>> swapbuffer context, but even that usage is undesired.
>>
>> Furthermore, the st interface that uses a specific context to notify about
>> drawable invalidation is also incorrect. There should be no context
>> associated with that.
>>
> You are right, we need a list of contexts, and notify all of the contexts.
>
> Cheers Jakob.

I don't think that's the correct solution either. If the state-trackers
notion of the drawable is just marked invalid, the first state tracker
context using the drawable will go ahead and update it. Subsequent
contexts will see the updated drawable, but might want to adjust their
viewports. (Looks like st/mesa is doing something similar already).

I think the dri1 state tracker handled this correctly.

/Thomas