[Mesa-dev] libgallium.so and miscelaneous buildsystem patches

Christopher James Halse Rogers christopher.halse.rogers at canonical.com
Wed Oct 5 02:14:25 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 09:24 +0200, Joakim Sindholt wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 17:58 +0200, Fabio wrote:
> > Can the patches at
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2011-August/011099.html
> > be considered for merging?
> >
> > Sharing libgallium should save some MB of installed space.
>
> And be an ABI nightmare for distributions

No; it's a private library.  Distributions will happily ship a
libgallium built from exactly the same source that the DRI drivers are
built from.  Indeed, that's what currently happens for those
distributions with ship with --enable-shared-dricore, and what happens
in Ubuntu, where we've got this patch series applied in our never-ending
quest to cram a fully-featured linux system on a 700MB CD.

Saving 20-odd megabytes is really useful there :)