[Mesa-dev] DEATH to old drivers!

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 14:17:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 07:38 -0700, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
> On 08/25/2011 07:03 AM, Ian Romanick wrote:
> > That's a fair point.  Since we have a clean mechanism to improve those
> > interfaces (e.g., DRI2!), there's relatively little cost in keeping that
> > code around.
> >
> > I'd usually be pretty stoked about deleting 842 lines of code, but it
> > feels pretty insignificant right after deleting 85,811 lines of code!  I
> > may have now out ajaxed ajax. :)
>
> It may be insignificant in size, but it _does_ make it harder for people
> trying to get up to speed with the DRI code.  There are a lot of
> structures, tokens, and functions which _look_ relevant for a DRI2
> driver, but are actually DRI1.  It's not entirely clear, for example,
> that dri_context and dri_screen are DRI1-only.  I imagine Chad has an
> opinion on this.
>
> So I'm still in favor of removing DRI1 entirely.  People can just stick
> with 7.11.

I will happily renamespace the remaining DRI1 code in libGL to avoid
that kind of confusion, if it helps.  I have at least one product where
I'm going to have to ship both updated DRI2 and extant DRI1 drivers for
the forseeable future, so I really want not to need two libGL's.

Apologies for reviving the thread, I was delightfully far from a
computer for the past two weeks.  But what a nice thing to give me as a
welcome home present!  Having started my interest in Mesa on tdfx and
mach64 I'm entirely pleased to see them in the dustbin.

- ajax