[Mesa-dev] gallium scaled types

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:58:50 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:

> [...]

That's not exactly what would be best for drivers. There actually are
3 basic types of vertex formats on r600: NORM, INT, and SCALED. See
e.g. the SQ_MICRO:SQ_VTX_WORD1 opcode:

NUM_FORMAT_ALL 29:28
Format of returning data (N is the number of bits derived from
DATA_FORMAT and gamma) (ignored if USE_CONST_FIELDS = 1).

POSSIBLE VALUES:
00 - SQ_NUM_FORMAT_NORM: repeating fraction number (0.N) with range
[0, 1] if unsigned, or [-1, 1] if signed.
01 - SQ_NUM_FORMAT_INT: integer number (N.0) with range [0, 2^N] if
unsigned, or [-2^M, 2^M] if signed (M = N - 1).
02 - SQ_NUM_FORMAT_SCALED: integer number stored as a S23E8
floating-point representation (1 == 0x3f800000).

So it would be useful to have *NORM, *INT, and *SCALED formats in
Gallium to make the translation straightforward. It would also be best
to have the same info in shaders. OpenGL has that info in the
interface (the *IPointer functions) and in the shaders too (the ivecN
types). Likewise for textures. We have something similar for rectangle
textures. There is the texture type PIPE_TEXTURE_RECT in the interface
and the TGSI_TEXTURE_RECT fetch instruction type. I think the integer
textures should follow suit to make hardware driver implementations
sane.

Marek