[Mesa-dev] gallium scaled types

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Tue Sep 13 12:39:17 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Am 13.09.2011 20:45, schrieb Jose Fonseca:

Ah, OK.

> Given that you want to be able to rebind resources to different
> attachment points (e.g. render target and vertex buffer) I think it
> really needs to be unified.

I'm not sure how this currently works.  Unlike texture buffer, a vertex buffer doesn't have a single or even constant format -- a vertex buffer can have an arbitrary number of vertex attribute formats, and they can vary along the buffer's life time.  I guess I'll need to read the code.

Well, if it's better to continue to use is_format_supported, then indeed needs to get that flag in an additional parameter.  If the number parameters is getting large we can either group them in a structure, or create dedicated helper functions for the most common cases, e.g.:
- one util_is_vertex_format_supported() inline helper for vertex formats that doesn't take sample_count & target args
- one util_is_texture_format_supported() for textures formats, that doesn't take the can_be_converted_to_float arg.

Jose