[Mesa-dev] X/Graphics DevRoom at FOSDEM 2012? (4-5 February)

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 04:33:08 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:32:21PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:18:15PM +0300, Alon Levy wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:49:33PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > > deliver. So, with a deadline of oktober 1st, i am now asking for 6
> > > people (basically fill up saturday afternoon) to step up and promise to
> > > hold a talk at FOSDEM, even when their employers end up not paying for
> > > their expenses, even when there is some other conference that might turn
> > > up in the next 5.5 months.
> >
> > I'd like to talk about Xspice, and about plans for 3d support in spice.
> >
> > Spice is currently limited to qemu virtual machines, Xspice is a Xvnc like
> > server using spice. The architecture is different in that it just implements
> > a few drivers (which link with the spice server library) and uses Xorg binary
> > without any changes. I can talk about the difficulties in doing that (X's
> > select loop, too many apis for input events)
> >
> > 3D support - it's currently being designed. Nothing to show code/demo wise. But I
> > hope to have a design to present by February, and would like to talk about it.
>
> This sound like a rather redhat specific topic. How certain are you that
> redhat is going to send you to FOSDEM, and if they don't, are you coming
> regardless?

I came on my own last year (well, Red Hat didn't require me to take vacation, but
that's a policy that's still in effect this year as well), and I plan to do the same
this year.

Also, afaik spice is being used by non Red Hat distributions (ubuntu, debian, arch)
so I don't think it's a Red Hat only topic.