[Mesa-dev] GLSL 1.40 and fixed function

nobled nobled at dreamwidth.org
Sun Apr 15 03:25:05 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 02:35 PM, Eric Anholt wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:41:09 -0700, Kenneth Graunke<kenneth at whitecape.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> Yeah, I think the linker needs to mandate all stages be present, like
>>> ES.  That said, I'm still unclear what happens if you do a draw call
>>> without a UseProgram.  Undefined results?  GL error?
>>

>> Yeah, I haven't found any mandate there.  I would think a
>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION?
>

> I believe that ES says GL_INVALID_OPERATION.  I think OpenGL 3.1 is
> ambiguous, but I have a vague recollection that it was cleaned up in some
> later spec.  There's some complexity in later 3.x versions because:
>
> 1. You can have a VS+FS without a GS.
>
> 2. You can have a VS or VS+GS with transform feedback and rasterizer
> discard.
>
> Of course, it gets even more complicated with the tessellation stages.
>
>> The link error makes sense, at least until
>> GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects.  And we just won't expose GL_EXT_sso on
>> a 3.1 core context.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but the non-compatibility
OpenGL 3.1 Specification seems pretty straightforward about this:

page 42/55 section 2.11 "Vertex Shaders":
"If the program object
has no vertex shader, or no program object is currently in use, the
results of vertex
shader execution are undefined."

page 160/173 section 3.9 "Fragment Shaders":
"If the program
object has no fragment shader, or no program object is currently in
use, the results
of fragment shader execution are undefined."

page 45/58 section 2.11.2 "Program Objects":
"If UseProgram is called with program set to 0, then the current
rendering state refers to an invalid program object, and the results
of vertex and
fragment shader execution are undefined. However, this is not an error."

I'm not sure if "undefined" is used in the "undefined rendering
results" sense or the "summoning nasal demons" sense, though.