[Mesa-dev] Gallium optimization: add the user pointer into pipe_vertex_buffer and pipe_index_buffer

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Mon Apr 16 08:02:35 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> does lack of feedback mean that this idea is still off the table
> despite the performance increase, or that nobody is opposed to it
> anymore?

Hi Marek,

Sorry for the delayed silence. The lack of my feedback just means I'm busy...

> In other words, may I start adapting the other drivers and send
> patches?

I don't oppose this direction, but before we do this I'd prefer that you make user buffers completely optional (you already have patches to make VB user buffers optional, so it's just a matter of making IB optional as well).

This way, drivers that can't or don't want to benefit from user buffers can opt out of them completely, and you won't need to update these drivers for this interface change.  And, with what you propose below, the drivers that do wan't user buffers, can get them with least overhead.

Jose