[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Merging feature work to Mesa master

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Feb 16 16:49:21 PST 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 00:45:00 +0100, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the problem is not in the process itself, but in the fact that
> this project lacks manpower (at least outside of the Intel camp) and I
> am afraid it will not get better without another 5-10 people working
> full-time on the project. Independent contributors like myself will
> never have enough time to implement tests for every possible corner
> case which may occur.

I don't think I want the project to demand a complete set of tests (nor
did Ian's post ask for that), but I think some sort of assessment along
with the first pile of code of "here's a summary of what's in the spec
that I know I haven't finished for testing and implementation" is
entirely reasonable and would have would have been a big deal to have.

I came into EXT_texture_integer thinking that things were supposed to be
about half done in core, since it said ~50%.  I think today it might be
close to 50%, and piglit testing is maybe at 25%.  (I only think that
because of our internal testsuite, where we're at about 50%)

On the other hand, after my experience with the "50% done" GL3 features,
I started poking at MSAA (supposedly already done in core) assuming that
nobody had done anything and that everything was broken.  So far, the
record is that >50% of tests I write show things that are broken, even
though this is something that was supposed to have already been done in
core.

Similarly, when I hit a bug in ARB_copy_buffer, I decided to go write
tests for the spec instead of just patching up the driver: it took two
hours, and at the end I posted a list of things that I knew were
weaknesses in our testing that the next person picking up
ARB_copy_buffer might want to think about.  That's the model I'd like to
see, except that it should come with the first implementation.