[Mesa-dev] softpipe GL3 status

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Mon Jan 9 10:43:03 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Hi guys,
>
> Just a quick note, I've just spent a week or so trying to see where
> gallium and softpipe were w.r.t GL3.0 support.
>
> I've pushed a branch to my repo called softpipe-gl3. It contains
> patches in various state of usefulness but it brings the piglit
> results to 220 failures in 7623 tests, which isn't bad.
>
> Outstanding known problems (stuff I've dug into).
>
> smooth interpolation is broken in softpipe, worth about 70-100 fixes
> at a quick guess.
>
> integer abs - we have no TGSI representation for this, should we
> lower
> it to something?
> integer SSG (set sign) - no TGSI for this, lower it?
>
> roundEven - need to implement softpipe round to match hw rounds which
> are roundEven.
>
> cube shadow sampling, some reason ends up getting info from the
> fallback texture
>
> fbo-stencil tests, st/mesa needs to implement
> st_BlitFramebuffer(GL_STENCIL).
>
> minmax: need to increase texture array levels to 256 and missing
> multisample support.
>
> the unknown stuff includes some GLSL compiler failures and generic
> GLX issues.
>
> Oh and this is all only available when DRAW_USE_LLVM=false is set,
> adding integer support to LLVM is a bit of a bigger task, and I'm not
> sure I can really get into it at the moment.
>
> in case anyone is looking for any motivation on why I've been working
> on this, it just seemed like it would be nice to have a reference sw
> GL3.0 compatible renderer in Mesa 8.0.

A bit late, but just wanted to say nice stuff Dave.

I also like the idea of softpipe as reference driver.

llvmpipe is definitely the software renderer to bet for performance, but it's far from trivial to add features given the complexity of everything being code generated Just-In-Time.  softpipe is really easy to maintain by comparison.

Jose