[Mesa-dev] Revert "gallium: add point size clamp to implementation limits in vertex shader"

Christoph Bumiller e0425955 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 23 10:19:28 PST 2012

On 01/23/2012 07:07 PM, Marek Olšák wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Roland Scheidegger <sroland at vmware.com> wrote:
>> Am 23.01.2012 15:44, schrieb Marek Olšák:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I will have to (at least partially) revert this commit, as well as the
>>> forked code in glsl_to_tgsi:

>>> I mean the part which rewrites vertex shaders to clamp the point size
>>> in st/mesa. We can't do that if transform feedback is enabled. The
>>> point size must be unmodified when writing it into a transform
>>> feedback buffer. Also it's unclear to me why we clamp the point size
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> If we want to do any clamping, we should do it after transform
>>> feedback, that is after the vertex and geometry shaders. Hardware
>>> drivers would have to do it in hardware somehow or fallback to Draw.
>>> BTW all Radeons can do point size clamping, so adding
>>> pipe_context::set_point_size_range(float min, float max) would be okay
>>> for them.
>>>
>>> BTW I think the only operation which can be done before transform
>>> feedback is vertex color clamping (as per the EXT_transform_feedback
>>> spec).
>>>
>>> Marek
>>
>> I probably didn't think of transform feedback when doing this, so this
>> looked like a good idea. IIRC most drivers didn't deal correctly (or at
>> all) with point size limits - e.g. point size of 0 would disappear
>> (instead of showing point size 1 with non-aa points), max/min point size
>> ignored etc. and it looked like not all drivers actually could deal with
>> it correctly (without adjusting the vertex shader themselves).
>> But you're right this can't work correctly with transform feedback (as
>> clamping should happen at rasterization time), so feel free to implement
>> a solution which works.
>> You can't fallback to Draw however (or rather you shouldn't) since you'd
>> always need to fallback if points are drawn, because you don't know if
>> the actual point size is larger than either the API or implementation
>> dependent limit. So you'd need to fix the drivers to handle it themselves.
>
> The only requirement so far seems to be:
> If non-aa points, then minimum point size = 1.
>
> I can fix Radeons and Draw. I guess Christoph wants to go with
> out-of-spec behavior as usual or do what NVIDIA do. That leaves us

It's not "out of spec behaviour".
1. FF: clamp the value passed as point_size to rasterizer statically
2. FF with attentuation: include clamping in the FF shader code that
writes PointSize (or add a property to have the driver do it)
3. GLSL shaders: don't do anything, hw implements rasterization rules
"If the value written to gl_PointSize is less than or equal to zero,
results are undefined." - covered
> 0 is rounded up to 1.0, and on the high end, well, my "implementation
dependent" limit is +inf