[Mesa-dev] Building under Windows

Jesper Weissglas jesper at seventhwave.se
Tue Jun 19 15:12:15 PDT 2012

I am trying to build with LLVM under windows. Using SCons and MinGW.
After solving some basic problems with llvm-config and applying the
patches for 8.0.3 most things are going OK.

Until it is time to generate the libgallium.a library. The "ar" command
to build this library is over 10kBytes long, and windows has a hard
limit of 8kB for commands in the terminal window.

So the build halts with "command line too long".

I can manually edit the command and replace a lot of specific
build/windows-x86/gallium/auxiliary/xxx/yyy.o filenames with *.o
wildcards, which makes the command much shorter, run it manually, and
then it works. This doesn't help me however, since SCons doesn't like
the manually generated libgallium.a file, and deletes it and tries to
build a new one, which then fails.

Any ideas how I can get passed this and have the build continue? I just
want to build a working llvmpipe driver for a performance test.
/jesper