[Mesa-dev] Mesa llvmpipe for WebGL software rendering

Benoit Jacob bjacob at mozilla.com
Thu Mar 1 06:05:16 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Mit, 2012-02-29 at 16:06 -0800, Benoit Jacob wrote:

Well, each project does their own choice of which architectures to support; Debian is famous for its very wide architecture support, while Mozilla is currently focusing on only a few architectures.

Notice that WebGL renderers are only a drop in the bucket of what one has to do to support "the modern web" on a given architecture. For example, Mozilla is not currently supporting PPC in its JavaScript JIT compilers. If one wanted to support "the modern web" on PPC, supporting JavaScript JIT would be a much more important thing to do, before it would start making sense to focus on WebGL rendering.

Cheers,
Benoit