[Mesa-dev] Four questions about DRI1 drivers

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 12:17:40 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Patrick Baggett
<baggett.patrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I'm curious. Is it the case that every DRI1 driver could be a DRI2
> driver with enough effort? Not talking about emulating hardware features.

In theory yes. in some situations its sub-optimal like low VRAM cards,
since DRI1 was based around shared back/depth buffers,
and DRI2 isn't. But then again DRI1 can't do compositing properly.

like we've made a DRI2 driver out of radeon r100 which is pretty basic hardware.

Dave.