[Mesa-dev] Mesa as part of OpenGL-on-OpenGL ES 2.0 (/WebGL)?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Mar 7 00:00:11 PST 2012

On Die, 2012-03-06 at 10:46 -0800, Alon Zakai wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> > On Die, 2012-03-06 at 05:11 -0800, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you think that the translation of Gallium3D state to GL state could
> >> be efficient (given that this is the converse of the primary use case,
> >> which is IIUC to convert GL state to Gallium3D state)? Just checking
> >> if this has a reasonable chance of performing well.
> >
> > It does. VMware uses Gallium3D for the guest drivers to achieve OpenGL
> > hardware acceleration in virtual machines, and it performs well under
> > presumably worse circumstances (there's a virtual machine barrier
> > between the Gallium3D driver in the guest and the graphics stack in the
> > host).
> >

> Thanks for the information!
>
> If that approach is fast enough for VMWare to run games with,
> then it sounds pretty good. I assume btw that that work is not
> open source?

Yes, it is. See src/gallium/drivers/svga/, src/gallium/winsys/svga/ and
src/gallium/targets/dri-vmwgfx/.

> Would be nice if it were, it sounds like the closest thing to what we
> are doing here...

I'm afraid it may not be as close as you hope though, as the VMware
virtual GPU is probably quite different from the WebGL environment.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com