[Mesa-dev] GLSL 1.40 and fixed function

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Mar 26 13:35:50 PDT 2012

I've got a question for GLSL 1.40 that could use some interpretation:

Section 1.2.5 in the spec says:
    "The following features, previously deprecated, are removed:
     Fixed functionality for a programmable stage. Supply shaders for
     all stages currently being used."

What exactly does this mean?  Undefined results?  Link error?  Draw
time error?  I couldn't find anything explicit in the 3.1 core spec
(since it doesn't have fixed function, so it doesn't really explain
interaction with it) or the compat spec (since it has
ARB_compatibility, so that deprecated functionality is re-allowed).

I think my resolution would be: Don't expose GLSL 1.40 outside of a GL
3.1+ core context, thus dodging the question of how to interact between
the FF and GLSL 1.40 without GL_ARB_compatibility exposed.