[Mesa-dev] Gallium: src_offset of pipe_vertex_element should be more restricted

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 13:27:00 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:

> [...]

Weird. I am wondering whether they used UINT because it's a commonly
used type, or whether there was some real reason.

>> The Mesa state tracker change should be trivial.
>
> Could you elaborate? Would it be trivial to modify the state tracker so that it only uses 12bits all the time?

Src_offset is non-zero only when the vertex elements are interleaved.
In such a case, src_offset = attrib->pointer - the lowest address of
all vertex attribs. In the function is_interleaved_arrays, I would
just add another restriction saying that the difference between each
attrib pointer and the lowest address must be less than (1 << 12). It
could be easily done with a CAP too.

>> Opinions?
>
> I agree workaround this on every driver is not nice. I'm not sure it makes sense to enforce the least common denominator everywhere, or maybe just advertise the maximum in a cap. Probably most apps would not trigger anyway.

The reason I proposed this is that I'd like to decouple vertex buffers
from vertex elements in r600g. Right now we have a workaround such
that if src_offset is too large, we just add it to buffer_offset of
pipe_vertex_buffer. As a result of that, interleaved vertex attribs
must be converted into separate ones in the driver.

Marek