[Mesa-dev] Woes of --enable-32-bit on x86-64 Fedora 15

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 30 14:32:02 PDT 2012

On 03/30/2012 02:15 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On 3/30/12 12:31 PM, Ian Romanick wrote:
>> Building the i965 driver with --enable-32-bit is just broken on Fedora
>> 15. It seems to work for folks on other distros, but I get a lot of
>> failure during linking i965_dri.so. Linking i915_dri.so works, and the
>> difference seems to be the presence of C++ files in i965.
>
> Does life get better if you use 'setarch i686 ...' to run the build
> commands? Otherwise things that key off uname for architecture won't
> know to pretend to be i686.

It looks like this is the same as using linux32, which I tried to no
avail. :(

> That said, Fedora doesn't use --enable-32-bit for building packages. We
> just set up 32-bit chroots and run the build in that (with setarch, as
> above).

It's probably worth that effort to build a zillion packages, but it
seems like a nightmare of effort for building just one.  FWIW, every
other part of the X stack just works with -m32 and the linux32 prefix.
Mesa used to work.