[Mesa-dev] IROUND() issue

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Fri May 18 17:19:36 PDT 2012

Am 18.05.2012 23:55, schrieb Kurt Roeckx:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 09:11:38AM -0700, Jose Fonseca wrote:
>>
>> It sounds a sensible plan, but I wonder if the multiple iround
>> versions are really worth it: SSE2 is guaranteed in x64, so we
>> could just start requiring SSE2 on x86, and only use the C for
>> other platforms.
>
> Is the "start requiring SSE2 on x86" a typo for x64?
>
> I still use x86 hardware that doesn't support sse2.
Would your hardware also not support sse?
In any case I don't think anyone is planning on completely abandoning
non-sse x86, but personally I think it's reasonable to remove stuff like
the fistp assembly conversion in favor of things producing faster code
on more modern cpus, leaving just generic c code for those oldtimers
(obviously, you could argue those old cpus need such optimizations the
most, but really, I don't know how many people
need a uptodate mesa on a cpu not newer than Pentium II or Athlon (non-XP)).
Well maybe not actively remove such optimizations but if they get in the
way. That's just my opinion though.

Roland