[Mesa-dev] No more make clean!

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Mon May 28 09:38:38 PDT 2012

On 05/25/2012 09:51 AM, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On May 25, 2012 7:23 AM, "Brian Paul" <brianp at vmware.com
> <mailto:brianp at vmware.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/24/2012 05:45 PM, Eric Anholt wrote:
>>>
>>> It still has the flaw that changes to source lists and Makefile.ams
>>> don't rebuild Makefile as often as they should.  This is because our
>>> top-level Makefile isn't in automake, and has just a stub am-refresh
>>> target.  I have a series to convert that, but it means getting rid of
>>> the static configs.  I'd love to see them die (they're just a trap
>>> these days), but I'll wait on that for another patchbomb.
>>

>> I'm fine with removing the old/static configs.  I've been using
> autoconf for a few months now and I'm mostly happy with it.
>>
>> One thing I wish was different is the --enable-debug option.  It adds
> -g to the command line, but the -O2 flag is still there and that
> sometimes causes trouble in gdb.
>>
>> To fix that I have to do "CFLAGS=-g ./autogen ...."   Could we fix the
> --enable-debug option to remove -O2?
>
> In my own automake branch that I stalled on I had the idea of turning
> the static configs into configure wrapper scripts that just help you do
> known things like set debug flags. Any interest?
>
> Dan

Personally, I'd rather just see static configs die.  I've seen people
fall into a trap where:

1. configure fails (due to missing deps, typo'd options, or such)
2. They type 'make' and see a huge list of configs
3. They go ahead and do what it suggested (e.g. 'make linux-x86')
4. Since it uses the old build system, nothing really works.

Obviously, making them autoconf wrappers would make the build work, but
I'm afraid people would lose their flags.  For example:

./configure --with-dri-driver=i965 --enable-debug ...
                            ^^^ typo, should be --with-dri-drivers

The configure script would fail, but they may type (or script) 'make'
anyway, see the list of configs, pick one, run it...and get a set of
flags that may not build the drivers they want, or not build in debug
mode, or some other problem...and wonder what happened.