[Mesa-dev] [RFC] libGL.so.1.2.0 new name

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Fri Oct 5 17:43:12 PDT 2012

On 10/05/2012 04:42 PM, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
[snip]
> Anyway, the my proposal is flawed too. `ldconfig` seems too smart. It
> seems to get the library name from inside the library and creates the
> symlinks. So no matter how I rename the library it will overwrite the
> symlinks. I witnessed how `ldconfig` creates symlink to one or the
> other library depending in what order it scans them.
>
> If there is a rename, the library should be compiled&linked with the new name.
> Maybe you can go back to pre 3.1 naming with libMesaGL.so ?
> Does anybody remember what were the problems that warranted the change?

Mesa has always installed libGL, never libMesaGL.  If you had a
libMesaGL, that was likely because of your distribution's packagers.

Packagers are free to rm libGL.so.1.2.0 or the like...whatever they need
to do to make Mesa and binary drivers coexist.

> The ideal solution would be if you kindly ask NVidia and Fglrx to
> cooperate with you and you all use the same libGL.so.

That's the idea: Andy from nVidia was actually the one that proposed
unifying this.  So I have hope that this will get better in the future.