[Mesa-dev] intel: FS compile failed: no register to spill

Johannes Stezenbach js at sig21.net
Wed Oct 10 12:53:12 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:01:48AM -0700, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 09:02 AM, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >
> >BTW, the compile error is thrown at glutSwapBuffers() not at
> >glCompileShaderARB() time.  Is there a way to force the error
> >to show up earlier?
>
> It ought to show up at glLinkShader() time if you're using Mesa 9.0.
> For earlier versions, I believe you can "export
> shader_precompile=true" before running your program to get it thrown
> earlier.

Ah, yes, that works:

$ export shader_precompile=true
$ ./mesabug.py
ATTENTION: default value of option shader_precompile overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: option value of option shader_precompile ignored.
Mesa 8.0.4 implementation error: Failed to compile fragment shader: FS compile failed: no register to spill

Please report at bugs.freedesktop.org

> >Is that the current state of affairs that using loops in GLSL is
> >basically broken on Intel?  Any hope to get it fixed?
>
> I've seen a lot of shaders with loops that work just fine, so I
> think yours is just a bit tougher on the compiler than we've seen
> before. We'll take a look soon.

It seems I was overstating the issue, probably because I
was sooo frustrated that my test code didn't work...

Thanks,
Johannes