[Mesa-dev] Pure OpenGL|ES 1.1 s/w renderer

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Thu Oct 25 11:40:32 PDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 02:01 AM, Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alright, I'm pursuing this idea about splitting mesa into two
> components, where state tracking happens on the host processor,
> whereas a second co-processor gets to do the s/w rendering. The two
> parts would be communicating via a RPC mechanism and sharing the
> textures and render target buffers. The CPUs are in an AMP
> configuration.
>
> Do you know if the code base (most importantly the data structure) is
> already designed to achieve this? Has this been done before?

The other approach that you could take is to make your co-processor
behave like a GPU.  Implement the software rasterizer, either from
Gallium or not, as uploaded microcode, etc.  This would make your
co-processor driver look / act like other hardware drivers.  This is the
approach I was intending to take with a similar driver for Cell SPUs
many years ago.  I had done some initial experiments, and it looked like
a promising approach.