[Mesa-dev] Burninating the old VS backend [v1]

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Fri Oct 26 13:23:48 PDT 2012

This patch series replaces the old brw_vs_emit.c backend with a (much
smaller) translator from Mesa IR -> brw_vec4 IR, similar to what Eric
recently did on the FS side.

You can obtain this from the 'vpclean' branch of ~kwg/mesa.

Here's the diffstat:
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_vs_emit.c          | 1810 ------------------

This has zero Piglit regressions on Ivybridge, even including Ian's
uncommitted ARB_vertex_program/ARB_fragment_program generated tests
(see the arb_program branch of ~idr/piglit).  I still need to run Piglit
on earlier platforms.

I also tested Quake 4 (ARB_vp) and OpenArena (FF) on Ivybridge.
Both continue to work fine.  I observed no performance difference in OA.

I haven't yet quantified the code quality differences.  Suggestions on
how to go about that are welcome.  Still, I'd like to get more eyes on
this before I spend any more time on it.