[Mesa-dev] R600 tiling halves the frame rate

Tzvetan Mikov tmikov at jupiter.com
Tue Oct 30 07:43:32 PDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 07:12 AM, Patrick Baggett wrote:
> Is your screen refresh rate 70 Hz? Because if so, that means that it's
> syncing to the vblank on Mesa, and not doing so on the proprietary one.

Unfortunately no. In fact the Gallium EGL/R600 doesn't support flip on
vsync at all - eglSwapInterval is always 0. The output is a standard
60Hz LCD, plus I do get different, (but still low in absolute terms)
frame rates with different chips. Off the top of my head:
- HD5430 - 120 FPS
- HD6450 - 140 FPS
- HD6460 -  70 FPS
- HD6750 - 400 FPS
- HD6760 - 240 FPS

I do think there is something fishy with the page flip though, which I
am planning to investigate today. It is way too slow - a render loop
which does nothing but a eglSwapBuffers() (no actual rendering
whatsoever) runs at only 350 FPS. It should be either 60FPS, or thousands.

regards,
Tzvetan