[Mesa-dev] Proposal for an Updated Linux OpenGL ABI

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Fri Sep 14 16:41:51 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 09:05:03AM -0700, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Andy Ritger <aritger at nvidia.com> wrote:
> > There was some recent Khronos discussion about updating the OpenGL
> > Implementer's Guide for Linux, to which Ian Romanick noted that this
> > topic will be discussed at XDC as part of the broad "Discuss the future
> > of EGL, GLX, and OpenGL ES on Linux" agenda item.
> >
> > To help facilitate the XDC discussion, I've put together a straw-man
> > proposal for an updated Linux OpenGL ABI.  I'm sending this out now to
> > start generating feedback and ideas, to help make the XDC discussion as
> > productive as possible.
>
> From a quick read-through, it looks like there's a lot of good ideas
> in here.  I'll have a closer look before XDC, but I just wanted to add
> one thing I didn't see in there: pkg-config files.  Mesa provides
> pkg-config files for libGL, and the EGL and GLES libraries and I think
> it would be nice to standardize that as well.

That's a good idea; thanks, Kristian.

I've put the proposal document under source control here:

https://github.com/aritger/linux-opengl-abi-proposal

and added an issue item for pkg-config, so we don't forget about it.
In addition to telling applications how to compile/link against the API
libraries, maybe pkg-config can also be used to indicate where vendor
libraries should be installed?

Thanks,
- Andy