[Mesa-dev] Please test the automake-gallium branch

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Wed Sep 26 23:19:06 PDT 2012

On 09/26/2012 10:55 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Specifically program_parse.c and program_lexer.c, right?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure whether yacc- and lex-generated files should be removed
>>> by make clean. I'm inconsistent about this -- I don't remove the
>>> program files, but I do remove the glsl/glcpp files on make clean.
>>>
>>> However, they should be shipped in the tarball.
>>
>> I would argue that 'make clean' should remove them.  In my mind, the
>> purpose of 'make clean' is to remove any files generated as part of the
>> build process (or at least the 'make' part of it), which includes
>> generated source code.
>>
>> Including them in the tarballs seems sensible.
>
> Imagine unpacking the tarball (which has the generated code which
> doesn't require flex and bison, at least it shouldn't), running make
> clean (which removes the code) and then trying to rebuild. :)
>
> I'm not sure it matters much, and there are multiple ways to avoid
> this. I just haven't though about what is actually sensible.

Yeah.  Honestly, putting generated code in the tarballs and making the
build system deal with both the tarball/non-tarball case has always
seemed like a pain.  I'd almost rather just see it be consistent...

It does avoid having to install bison and flex.  (It doesn't avoid
python 2.x.)  Developers have them already, and they're pretty common.
For most distros, it's probably just a matter of flagging the build
dependency in the package description and pointing tools at it.  Is this
really useful for anybody?

If it is, then sure, it's totally solvable.  If it's not, well...