[Mesa-dev] new i965g pipe driver for Intel GEN6 (and later)

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Tue Apr 16 10:18:37 PDT 2013

On 04/16/2013 09:58 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Chia-I Wu <olvaffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If there is no objection, I'd like to merge it in a day or two.
>
> My only objection is over adding a driver that is explicitly a toy,
> the confusion it will cause users, and the developer time it will
> waste. It wasn't uncommon for a user to waste a nontrivial amount of
> someone's time in #intel-gfx only to discover that they were trying to
> use the (old) i965g driver that no one maintained.

That's very true.

I wonder, should i965g be built by default?  Or should you have to
explicitly request it via --with-gallium-drivers=i965?  The thinking is
that the default should be to build the drivers most people want to use.

We could also make ./configure print out a warning message saying
something like: "The Gallium i965 driver is highly experimental and not
supported by Intel.  Intel recommends using the classic driver
(--with-dri-drivers=i965)."

Those are just ideas.  I'm open to discussion.

> I think everything Marek said was correct. If you could extend Gallium
> to consume GLSL IR it might actually be an interesting project.

I agree, that would be interesting.  It'd definitely make for a more
compelling classic vs. gallium comparison.

--Ken