[Mesa-dev] new i965g pipe driver for Intel GEN6 (and later)

Chia-I Wu olvaffe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 13:11:30 PDT 2013

Hi Ken,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org>wrote:

> On 04/16/2013 09:58 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Chia-I Wu <olvaffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If there is no objection, I'd like to merge it in a day or two.
>>>

>> My only objection is over adding a driver that is explicitly a toy,
>> the confusion it will cause users, and the developer time it will
>> waste. It wasn't uncommon for a user to waste a nontrivial amount of
>> someone's time in #intel-gfx only to discover that they were trying to
>> use the (old) i965g driver that no one maintained.
>>

> That's very true.
>
> I wonder, should i965g be built by default?  Or should you have to
> explicitly request it via --with-gallium-drivers=i965?  The thinking is
> that the default should be to build the drivers most people want to use.
>
> We could also make ./configure print out a warning message saying
> something like: "The Gallium i965 driver is highly experimental and not
> supported by Intel.  Intel recommends using the classic driver
> (--with-dri-drivers=i965)."
>
> Those are just ideas.  I'm open to discussion.

The driver is disabled by default and needs to be enabled via
--with-gallium-drivers=i965.

I explained why I want the driver merged in my reply to Matt.  It looks
like the other concern for your team is that the new driver could be
confusing.  I can imagine that.  I wonder if it can be resolved
technically.  Maybe the same rule can be applied to i915g, if you still get
bug reports for it.

--
olv at LunarG.com