[Mesa-dev] r600g: status of the r600-sb branch

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 08:23:21 PDT 2013

On 19 April 2013 16:48, Vadim Girlin <vadimgirlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the previous status update I said that the r600-sb branch is not ready to
> be merged yet, but recently I've done some cleanups and reworks, and though
> I haven't finished everything that I planned initially, I think now it's in
> a better state and may be considered for merging.
>
> I'm interested to know if the people think that merging of the r600-sb
> branch makes sense at all. I'll try to explain here why it makes sense to
> me.

Personally, I'd be in favour of merging this at some point. While I
haven't exactly done extensive testing or benchmarking with the
branch, the things I did try at least worked correctly, so I'd say
that's a good start at least.

I'm afraid I can't claim extensive review either, but I guess the most
obvious things I don't like about it are that it's C++, and spread
over a large number of < 1000 line files. Similarly, I don't really
see the point of  having a header file for just about each .cpp file.
One for private interfaces and one for the public interface should
probably be plenty. I'm not quite sure how others feel about that,
although I suspect I'm not alone in at least the preference of C over
C++. I also suspect it would help if this was some kind of logical,
bisectable series of patches instead of a single commit that adds 18k+
lines.